10/16/08

My last "gubment" post.....Tell me what you think on this!


1. I think everyone should get 4 years of college for free. debate it all you want, but everybody wins.

2. J-mac says more available student loans: It is true that the max amount you can take from the federal program is not enough to cover the expenses at Auburn or Alabama. Negative--- a 4 year degree at Auburn (not including basic living expenses)will run you $60,000 plus. I did 2 years and have a $32,000 monkey on my back. It may not be so great for the economy if you are stuck paying off a loan at 6% for the next 20 years.

3. Obamas plan is to give a $4,000 per year student credit. You get this if you provide (length not determined as of yet) service in the military, peace corps or some community service. This will apparently help with the burden on so many students. The truth.........2 possible scenarios.....

1. Joe goes to school for 4 years (you pick the degree)
2. Joe has $65,000 in debt
3. Joe has 6 months before he must start writing that check to Fanny
4. Oh no, Joe can't get a job because he is going to do a year in the piece corps
5. Joe gets his $4,000 check that he tries to live on for the next year.
6. Joe can't afford rent while helping the poor and is eating rice and weenies
7. Joe defaults on his loan.
8. Joe is F%$#D


1. Joe tries to do community activist stuff while in college
2. Joe gets $4,000 each year for his service
3. Joe graduates in 5 years because he spends so much time doing "service"
4. Joe has made an extra $16,000 from the government
5. Joe now has a loan of $80,000 because of his extra year.
6. Net gain 80 - 16 = Joe owes $64,000 in loans
7. Joe got a $1,000 break and all is right with the world.


Untill next time: See you at tonights peace corps rally!

2 comments:

Tator Salad said...

Good post. I am powered down by this darn economy. The only problem with free tuition for 4 years is that somebody has to pay for it. That means more taxes but if it saves me from having to fork over 100K for my two chillen's lets do it. I am all about spreading the love.

I may just "write in" my vote for Deano.

Anonymous said...

piece corps, rofl